The TL;DR December 18, 2017
Read about following hashtags on Instagram, updates to Google Analytics, and what to look for in marketing in 2018.
Instagram Now Allows Users to Follow Hashtags
As Instagram continues to innovate, they’ve announced that users can now follow hashtags. Read the full article here.
- Users can now follow hashtags the same way they would follow individuals.
- Posts from the hashtags they follow will now appear in their feed. Stories from followed hashtags will also occasionally show up at the top of user feeds.
- To help combat overfilling feeds, an algorithm will be used to filter the hashtags. Users can also select “I don’t like this” from a drop down menu on posts from followed hashtags.
- The hashtags a user follows will be visible on their profiles but can be hidden by users.
- This move has a large impact both on users of the platform and potentially in marketing.
- Hashtags now play an even greater importance on brand posts.
- This move may drive users to adopt more specific hashtags to better filter for the content they really want, and marketers will need to stay on top of these things.
Google Analytics Adds New Reporting Tools
To help provide a more user-journey focused view, Google Analytics is adding new metrics to their dashboard reporting. Read the full article here.
- User-Focused Reporting: Now standard reporting includes the number of users, not just the number of total sessions.
- User Explorer: This new tool allows marketers to view lifetime metrics and dimensions on an individual user level. This is based on the life of their cookie and includes time spent on site, number of visits, and more.
- Audience Reporting: The audience function from AdWords is now available in in Analytics, providing an opportunity for a more in depth view of site activity.
- Conversion Probability: While this does require some time to calibrate and get working accurately, Analytics can now give you an idea of how likely a user is to convert on a scale from 1 (least likely) to 100 (most likely). This data can then be used for more aggressive ad targeting.
5 Marketing Trends to Watch in 2018
From augmented reality to AI’s and chat bots, find out what’s coming in marketing. Found on Social Media Today.