The TL;DR March 19, 2018
This week we’re talking about vertical video on Instagram, Generation Z’s complicated relationship with social media and the ideal sizes for images across all social networks.
4 Tips On Creating Effective Vertical Content
With Instagram Stories only growing more popular, the platform released a few tips on how to get the most out of their vertical format. You can read the full article here.
- Direct Your Audience’s Eyes: People are used to viewing video left to right, but vertical space gives you new opportunities to play. By creating videos that draw the eye up and down, you’re able to create a more memorable piece of content.
- Animate Your Ideas: Not everything has to be live recorded video – creating simple animations or stop-motion videos are a great way to show off products or ideas with a unique twist.
- Split Your Screen: Though videos on Instagram stories are vertical, it is possible to split that into two horizontal screens. This provides opportunities to tell two stories at once, try a new artistic direction, and more.
- Play With Type and Design: Don’t just focus on the images – playing with type and design can add depth to content and tell a richer story.
Generation Z is Leaving Social Media In Large Numbers
While it’s no secret that Generation Z doesn’t favor Facebook as much as other generations, other social networks may also start to experience the same drop in membership. Read the full article here.
- 34% of Gen Z’ers say they’re permanently leaving social media, while 64% say they’re taking a break, according to a recent study.
- According to the study, the generation has complicated opinions on social media – many claim it makes them feel anxious or causes FOMO while at the same time saying that social can have a positive effect on their relationships.
- Some of the most common reason cited for leaving social media by Generation Z:
- 41% say they’re wasting too much time on the platforms.
- 35% say there is too much negative content.
- 31% say it’s because they don’t use it all that much.
- 26% say they simply aren’t interested in the content.
2018 Social Media Size Guide
As platforms update, sizing requirements for images do as well. Making sure your brand is on top of these changes helps ensure that content has the best change for performing well. Find out the sizes for 2018 in the information below and read the article here.