We live, eat, and breathe social media.
We live, eat, and breathe social media. As two millennials working in the field, we’re on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat basically 24/7. We can’t complain. However, just because we spend so much time on the various channels, doesn’t mean we know everything (even though we sometimes think we do!). Platforms and algorithms are constantly changing and it’s important for us to step away from our screens and learn from others. Here are 5 facts we learned at the #SMWNYC conference that are important for anyone working in the digital space:
- The average person thumbs through 300 feet of content each day – this means you need to know how to make your content stand out.
- 80% of social media is now paid – this means you’ve got to pay to play!
- Square videos produce 35% more views and 80% more engagement than landscape videos on multiple platforms – this means one size fits all.
- Platforms like Snapchat and Instagram lend themselves more towards discovery, while platforms like YouTube and Pinterest lend themselves more towards search – this means you need to create content specific to each individual platform’s use.
- People recall 6x the amount of information from a video than from text, and videos generate 12x more shares on social than text and images combined – this means video is king!
We will leave you with this –
There are 2 golden rules of social media: Rule #1: Always leave your audience wanting more!